Sunday, December 03, 2006

Down in the Mulligrubs

Today Cassidy was sick for most of the day. That has to be one of the most difficult things to deal with as a parent. At least Cassidy is old enough to tell us what is wrong, but she still looks at us with eyes that say, “Why can’t you fix me?” Fortunately she was feeling much better this evening, and we suspect it was just a flu virus.

Yesterday we took a quick trip over to Fairview Heights. Strangely enough, Amy and I were sitting at home wondering what we could do. Amy was really wanting to go to Old Navy, but I did not want to fight the traffic. Just as we were discussing it, the phone rang. It was our old friends from Christian Student Fellowship at SIUE, Tony and Tammy Jackson. They wondered if we wanted to meet them so they could pass on some home-school items to us. So off we went. The traffic was terrible, but the chance to catch up with some old friends was well worth the drive. Maybe next time we can spend a little more time with them. By the way, we have not yet decided to home school our children. The idea is of interest to us, but we still have a lot of time to make that decision.

The title of our blog here is, “Finding Our Place in Life.” Maybe it was meeting up with our old friends, or becoming more distant with recent ones, but it seems like lately that the goal has kept coming back to our minds. For reasons that elude us it is a most difficult goal to achieve. We often ask ourselves, “What should we be doing,” and “Are we where we are supposed to be?” Finding peace is progressively more difficult these days, and life just doesn’t seem to have the kind of meaning that we want. Maybe it is just the mulligrubs and seasonal depression, but we’ve felt this way for too long now. I’m sure everyone desires to do something great, and at some point in your life you realize that you are not going to be the one to make the sort of difference you had hoped to make in this world. Speaking for myself here, maybe that is what is happening. Maybe we are beginning to understand the “Fall,” and how God had created humans with such great potential. He had created them for so much more, but they (we) blew it. Is that what we feel? Maybe God called us to something and we said, “No.” Maybe He’s trying now, but we are so far away that his voice gets muddled in the noise. Is it that we doubt? Lack of Faith? Uncertainty? Fear? Whatever it is, we both hope it goes away. We need to see a little more clearly, have a little more purpose, and start doing whatever it is that God put us on this planet to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
I would highly recommend the book Visioneering by Andy Stanley. They have some extra copies at church. One of the most important things it taught me was to relax about my relentless "there ought to be more than this" feeling. For the first time in my "restless" life it felt reassuring that some of that was actually "normal"( whatever that is ). I have also found the more I thank Him for where I am at right now the less I long to be somewhere else. When I praise Him for where I am I find peace and can more clearly see that He is in control,even if I feel out of control.

Ryan and Amy said...

Kathy, thank you so much for those words. When I read your comment, I looked at the scripture on the side. That scripture gets updated each day. Your comment went along quite nicely with the Word "...always giving thanks to God the Father for everything..." What a coincidence! ;)

I will certainly take a look at that book.