Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dentists

Today I took the day off to go to the dentist. Normally, I would try to schedule such events after work if at all possible, but a crown had come off and it was quite painful. So, I figured I have had so much trouble with this tooth, that I just might get it pulled. It seems that mosts dentist will not pull teeth these days, but I found one who said he would. When I got there, the dental assistant told me what a bad idea that would be, and all the things that would go wrong if I had this particular molar taken out, etc. She then left me for quite a while in the chair to think about this. I had still had my mind made up when the dentist came in. However, after discussing it with him for a long time, and hearing about how much I would miss this tooth, and how young I was to loose it, I gave in. I suggested he try to fill the tooth, and that maybe that would buy me a few more years. He seemed to think that was a good idea.

Now, I have been to the dentist a lot, and this was not one of the best experiences I have had. After all the shots to numb the tooth, he began the work. At one point I had him and two assistants all with instruments stuck in my mouth. The event lasted forever. I had to take two shorts breaks because I couldn't breath. It was not fun. I almost changed my mind in the middle of it to say, "just pull it," but I couldn't really talk very well.

Now that it is said and done, I think I'm glad I didn't have it pulled. I can chew like normal on that side again, and since it is a filling I'm not as worried about it popping off. Of course, I won't be munching on jaw breakers or anything from now on.

So, anyways, after that, I decided I deserved to come home and rest. Amy and I watched a movie, and just tried to relax. There have been times in my life when I had to miss work for such things and actually felt guilty while having my feet propped up in front of a television knowing a substitute was with my class. But not this time. After all the rough things that have happened this year, I figured I deserved it!

0 comments: