Sunday, July 22, 2007

Visiting the WWJD

Last night was a little rough for Amy. She is going through pregnancy sickness, and she threw up several times. I think I remember her having a bit of this with one of the other children, but she says she can’t. Believe me, it is no fun at all! Callie and Cassidy still need Amy a lot. Let’s hope this passes quickly for all of our sakes!

This morning Amy was feeling better, and she and the kids went to church at Orchardville. Amy is working in the nursery now, which means she needs to be there for both services. I don’t really want to be there twice, and I can’t justify driving two vehicles that far. So, today I visited the WWJD church. This is a church that ministers mostly to inner city kids. There were about 30 or 40 kids there, many of whom seemed to come from difficult circumstances. My guess is a lot of them are poor, and live in dysfunctional families. The pastor, Rodney Mellot, does a tremendous job with the kids. He drives a bus through town and picks them up. He truly has a heart for ministry, and I can’t think of a better place to make a difference.

The service began with welcome where a bible game was played and then a cartoon type story was shown on a big screen. Then there was worship music, complete with electric guitars, bass, keyboard and drums. Finally, Rodney preached a sermon about making the right choices in order to go to Heaven. Although the story may have been geared towards children, it really spoke to me. “Jesus is always watching”—how easy it is to forget that.

Afterwards I had a chance to talk again to my good friend Craig. Back during the band days he used to speak a lot about wearing masks. Not the Halloween kind, but the kind you put on when someone comes up to you and says, “Hey, how are things going,” and you replay, “Oh, just fine…things are good, etc.” all the while you are thinking, “Man, things just really suck right now, but I know these people don’t want to hear about how bad my life is.” Those types of masks. So, anyway, I have a difficult time not being real around Craig. I let him know that I am feeling low about something, and he gave me some encouragement. I really needed it.

0 comments: