Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Saying Goodbye to the Taurus


Today we said goodbye to the Ford Taurus. It would be an understatement to simply say that it has been a good car. We bought the car back in 2001 and have been so many places in the car. We drove the car to Florida twice, to West Virginia once, countless trips to St. Louis, and all over creation playing music. We have hauled more than you would think you could haul in a car. It is the car that both Cassidy and Callie both came home from the hospital in. I have replaced several parts on the car at one time or another and it has just kept on going. Unfortunately, several months ago we hit a deer with it going rather quickly. The damage caused to the car has made it an eye sore and somewhat of an embarrassment to drive. Insurance didn’t cover it, and a body shop was going to charge an unreasonable amount of money to fix it. I couldn’t find a fender to match, and the cost of a new hood was more than I wanted to spend. Someone offered to paint the car for us, and had we kept it I’m sure we would have taken them up on the offer. But, things come and go, and for us the car has served its purpose.

So what else is going on with us? Well, you will think we are totally crazy at this, but we are about to celebrate what we are calling, “Christmas in July.” Basically, it is like a mini-Christmas for us. We set up a small tree and got the kids a few presents for them to unwrap. We plan on opening presents on Wednesday afternoon? Why then? I don’t know, why not I guess---just something to do during the dog days of summer. If it goes over well, I can see great ideas for this holiday (some of which would probably upset the neighbors). But for now, it is just our little tree and some presents.


The only other thing going on is that Amy is really experiencing the things that go on during the first trimester of pregnancy. One of her manifestations involves forgetting things, breaking things, and losing things. Today she called me from Walmart. She had lost her keys. The odd thing about it, was that she made it to the car, unlocked the car, and at one point actually started the car! Long story short, the keys got carried away by the guy taking the shopping carts back. What a deal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I thought I might share my memory of this car! It was a band trip that I went along for and after you guys played we were going out to eat..and I guess Ryan was in a hurry so right when I opened the door to get in the car Ryan started to drive away. Without me in the car. I laughed and laughed! Well that is my memory.

Ryan and Amy said...

That was definitely memorable. I recall you screaming, "Ryan...RYAN!!!!!" Life would have been different had we left you down there. It just wouldn't have been the same without you.