Thursday, July 05, 2007

Trying to Find Our Place

You may have noticed that the title of our blog site is “Finding Our Place in Life.” For the past several years Amy and I have been doing just that—trying to find out what it is that we have been put on this Earth to accomplish. Yes, of course, we know that part of that plan is doing exactly what we are doing—raising two children, working, etc. But it has always seemed like there is something more out there for us; something with even more purpose. A big part of that feeling no doubt comes from the band days. Traveling around playing Christian music helped us to feel like we were part of God’s big plan for this world. It was exactly where we needed to be for that part of our life. After those days, we have never quite been able to get back to where it is that we feel is the center of God’s will.

Even right now, I’m listening to a song that says, “I’m a drifter out on a dead end road trying to find my way back home, to get to you…. Lord, I’ve been gone for far too long headed to places I don’t belong, and I’ve got to get back to you.”

Is God working in our lives? I sure hope so. All we know is that we want to be were it is that God wants us to be. Before my trip to Washington I got a call from Dr. Frye in Florida. He asked if we wanted to come take a look at a children’s home there and interview for a position as house parents. Those of you who read this blog often know that we went out to West Virginia last summer to interview for a similar position. So, long story short, Amy and I have been praying and praying trying to decide if this might be the direction that God is leading us. I wish I could say that God said, “Yes” or “No,” but I can’t. I know God is there, but we just never felt like we were hearing his voice. I called Dry Frye a couple of hours ago and told him we would not be coming down to Florida. Did we make the right decision? How does one know? Yes, there would have been no harm in making the trip (other than the stress of traveling with the kids), but I just don’t think we can handle another disappointment. We were so excited about it last year, and then we were just so disappointed. It wasn’t right for us, and we both knew that the moment we arrived.

Early this morning I watched Joel Osteen. He often says that “God will take you places that you’ve never even dreamed of.” I know God can do that. I believe, I REALLY believe. He also talked about the story when so many of the spies said, “We are like grasshoppers to them.” Joel Osteen said that all grasshoppers have wings, but not all of them can fly. That is how Amy and I feel. God has given us wings, but for whatever reason we just haven’t figured out how to use them yet.

At the top is a picture of what I think is the Heart of Florida Youth Ranch.

0 comments: