Thursday, August 10, 2006

Recapping the Last Two Weeks







The last two weeks have brought lots of emotions. I completed a conference at Rend Lake, made a quick trip to Florida, and made an offer on a house. That should certainly qualify as something, right? Where to begin? Well, let me first start with the Florida trip.

It began about the time that we decided we were not going to take the position in West Virginia as house parents. We had totally decided that we were just going to stay in Mt. Vernon, and I was going to teach another year at the high school. Those of you who don’t read often just need to know that I have become increasingly frustrated with my current employment. Anyway, I was all gung ho to make the best of the situation, when I discovered there was yet one more blatant and personal attack. Long story short, I had put in to teach an extra class and get paid a little more. But instead, they gave that position to a person who has less sonority than I do. What a slap in the face. So anyway, I thought I would look just one more time for another job. In no time at all, Trinity Christian Academy of Deltona, Florida was flying me down and putting me up in a hotel. I could talk for a long time about that experience. I met one of the most interesting people I have ever met in my life. The Headmaster if this school was a retired Lt. Col, who used to fly F-4 Jets armed with nuclear warheads during the cold war. Deltona is about 30minutes from Daytona beach, and about 30 minutes from DisneyWorld. It would be a nice place to live, but unbelievably expensive. I can't see how so many people afford to live there. But in the end, I was not offered the principal position. I was sad, but I know it was meant to be that way. Now, I just have to try to figure out why in the world that all happened.

Not a lot to be said about the Rend Lake conference. Just that it is a good program if we all put forth the effort. And, of course, there is a stipend.

Lastly, the house. We found a cute house out in the Dix/Texico area. We liked it so much, that we put an offer in on it. Unfortunately, the price is not budging much. In the mean time, we are going to see how much it will cost to have a house built that will fit our basic needs.

So what is left to talk about? I’m sure some of you might be wondering if there is anything else that is driving our desire to move. Besides the ongoing frustrations of the job, there have been a considerable amount of family problems. I have purposely not said much about this, although some of you are good at reading between the lines. Just this past month Amy has cried several times. Some stupid stuff, like people toying with her, and rude comments made to her. But the obvious dysfunctions and past ill-treatments are not easy to shake. She is such a trooper. She keeps praying, and believing people will change. This is one of the reasons I love her so much. She has endured enough to destroy some people, and yet she keeps her head up. It makes me ashamed to complain sometimes.

Well, tomorrow we are headed for Splash City (water park in Collinsville). We had hoped to go to Holliday World, but it just never worked out. Splash City is cheaper anyway, and I bet it will be just as fun!

0 comments: