Monday, August 14, 2006

Careless Words Can Hurt




















It is sometimes difficult to defend careless words, especially when those words originate from the hurt and anger that resides deep in troubled emotions. Such is the case regarding the last entry I wrote. As many of you know, school has nearly become a sore subject with me since the close of the last school year. Without great consideration for my words, I referred to a decision I did not like as a “Blatant and personal attack.” I would like to take a moment to clarify my remarks. To begin with, that statement was probably a little harsh. I know deep inside that those who are in this field work for the kids. They are generally not here to beat people up. Unfortunately, I did not fully think about who that remark might offend, and who would take it to be directed at them. For that, I apologize. I still disagree with many decisions made here, but I know the most recent decision was not personal by all those involved.

Hurting people tend to hurt other people. I don’t want my life to follow that creed. So, from now on I’m going to make a more concerted effort to stay focused on the positive aspects of my life and my job.

Many of you know that I listen quite often to Joel Osteen. Although I do not agree with all he preaches, he does have a way of making us think about living a positive life. In the end, it is our choice. We decide how we are going to react to what others say and do. We decide if we are going to give into the negative thoughts. Why hang on to feelings that rob us of our joy?

Again, I don’t agree with much of what goes on surrounding my employment. But in the end, I only have the power to change how I react to it. Perhaps someday I will be in a position where I can make more of a difference. But until then, I’m going to do my best to let go, and instead of becoming bitter, take the high road.

While looking for a quote to end this post with, a simple prayer came to mind. The author was a pastor named Reinhold Niebuhr. According to the research I did, he was also labor advocate during the 1920’s, an especially difficult time. A story I came across reminds me in part to the conversation I had today, which inspired this post:

"He (Niebuhr) tells the story of preaching a fiery sermon against management one Sunday morning, following a round of particular brutal lay-offs and firings. One of his church members, as he left, looked Niebuhr in the eye, and told him of the week he, a manager, had had: having to call people into his office and fire them. The manager was well aware of the families he was hurting, of the lives he was touching. He made it clear to his pastor that this hadn't been an easy or painless task, and Niebuhr realized such situations are always complex, that there are human beings on all sides."

And now, for the prayer:

“God Grant Me The Serenity to Accept the Thing I Cannot Change,
The Courage to Change The Things I Can,
And The Wisdom To Know The Difference.”


---Reinhold Niebuhr

0 comments: