Sunday, June 24, 2007

Update on the Search for a Vehicle

The car we test drove was a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. It had about everything we wanted. It resembles a van, and in fact, is listed as a mini-van on the Kelly-Blue-Book site. Unfortunately, we just can't pull the trigger on such a large purchase. We really want to stay away from a car payment, and without trading in the Jeep, it would be next to impossible for that to happen.

Trading in the Jeep would mean that I (Ryan) would be driving the Taurus back and forth to work everyday. I really don't like the Taurus, but I suppose I should be willing to make that sacrifice so my wife and kids can have something nicer. In actuality, there are a lot of reasons to get rid of the Jeep. It is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, rides like a tank, and is a major roll-over hazard (something I think about every time I have the kids with me). Add to that the fact that, even with the soft top on, it is so loud that we avoid the highways and interstates as often as possible, one would wonder why in the world we would want to keep it. So why do I like it? Well, besides the fact that it is fun to drive around town with the top off, there is that once in a great while when I need the four wheel drive. Plus, I get tons of compliments on the Jeep. Maybe that is vain, but it makes me feel good. So, I guess I could say that I feel good driving the jeep (not physically of course, all the jarring and shifting and loud noise is pretty nauseating).

So, anyway, for now it is back to the drawing board. We need to decide what we really want, but isn't that always our predicament?

0 comments: