Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Update on the Project

Well, I seriously considered hiring a plumber or handy man to come finish this project. But the estimates I had for the original project (before I made the mess) were upwards of $800. So, here is how it went. Saturday and Sunday I felt pretty bad, so I didn’t do much. Yesterday I got up early and went to anchor and rented a rotary hammer. That device just didn’t do what I wanted to do, so I was about to go back to the dreaded jack hammer. Fortunately, I talked to someone there who told me about a device called a “Demo Hammer.” This was EXACTLY the tool I needed! In about an hour, I had busted through the concrete and exposed the pipe that I needed to cut and replace the fitting on. We got everything glued back together, and hooked up the washing machine. So far, it has not leaked. Today, I insulted all the piping, and put the floor back on. The room really looks like it is coming along now. This picture below is the broken pvc drain in the concrete.



Here is what it looked like after the the Demo Hammer (and the hours upon hours I spent trying to chisel it out by hand, drill it out with the wrong tool, stare at it, think about it, weep over it, etc.



And this was my reward for getting this part of the job done!!!





Ahhh, nothing like junk food when you are just getting over a sickness!! I have learned that remodeling takes several times longer than new construction does. I have also learned that sometimes you run into major problems, but if you are willing to try to do the work yourself, you can save a lot of money. I’ve probably spent a couple of hundred dollars on this room already, but to have it hired could easily have been way over a thousand dollars just to this point.

So what is left? A lot, but at least a major part of the plumbing is done! And if all goes as planned, adding the utility room and expanding the kitchen will not only add value to this house, but will most certainly help to sell the house. Thanks for reading!!

0 comments: