Friday, August 29, 2008

Struggles of a New Year

I'm sure a lot of you have noticed I've not been posting very much lately. To be honest, I'm just incredibly busy. Going back to school each year has its challenges. In fact, I heard one teacher say the other day, "This is like starting a new job every year!" And, that is not too far from the truth.

So far, I have the most students I've ever had--147! I have one class that has three kids with the same name in it. I do my best to learn all their names as quickly as I can, but they all have until Tuesday of next week to switch classes. Just today I got two or three new ones. And already, I've had a student who I think is being abused, one who took refuge in my room because a group was going to beat him up, and one who came in to tell me her friend died of a drug-related heart attack. Wow, the things these kids go through! Somewhere along the line, I hope to teach them science this year!

0 comments: