Sunday, June 22, 2008

Pure Cane Soda


Recently I became aware that Coca-Cola uses different recipes around the world. An example of this is the substitution of pure sugar for high-fructose corn starch in Mexico. HFCS was not originally used in Coca-Cola, so the Mexican blend would be much close to the original recipe (which, believe it or not, actually used Cocain). So, recently I began somewhat of a quest to locate the nearest facility in which I could purchase the "Real Thing" (That was Coke's slogan while I was in high school).

I called a few Mexican grocery stores in St. Louis. One said they had it, but I don't think the lady understood what I was asking for. I put up a post on the Register-News Forum for it. There, I also found out that you can order Pure Cane Dr. Pepper from a bottling company in Texas called the Dublin Texas Dr. Peppar . Someone also mentioned that Jones Soda is sold at Kroger, and it also is made with real sugar cane. I did make the trip to Kroger, but the flavors they had at the time did seem to appealing.

Well, today I found out there is a place in Centralia that is supposed to have it. We will see. Oh, and by the way, Coke mostly stopped using cocaine a long time ago, and completely removed it by 1929. Presumably part of the coca leaf is still used, however hence the name.

1 comments:

PillowNaut said...

So are you in Georgia? I love going to the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta, been there 4 times and the tasting room is the best part. If you have a chance to get Dublin Dr. Pepper, try some! I live in Austin most of the year and we can get them there in some stores, they're worth it. Hope you find the non-HFCS coke sometime, I'll have to look for that too...