Sunday, September 02, 2007

Unable to Make Decisions: Part 1

I don’t know why I am plagued with indecision. Sometimes I feel like this has become my lot in life. Not long ago I had to make another choice. Here is how the story began:

All summer long I was thinking about whether or not I wanted to go back to teach again at Mt. Vernon. Early in the Summer I was convinced that I should find something else to do, even if it meant getting out of the field of education altogether. I got a call from a gentleman in Florida who heads a ministry for troubled teenagers. Amy and I both gave serious thought to going there for an interview. We chose not to, and in the end I believe we made the right decision on that one, but the process was daunting.

After attending the conference in Washington, D.C. this past summer, I felt a renewed interest in teaching. I was with a group of people who seemed to have vision, and it was exciting! I came home with a stronger desire to go back to the trenches, and be the best teacher I could be. Unfortunately, it didn’t take too long before I once again had that unsettling feeling of dissatisfaction. I began to look intently for someplace else. I found there were a few other positions at local schools needing science teachers, but none in which I felt a strong urge to apply.

Then, one morning, on a day when I had had about all the frustration I could take, with great intensity I knelt down and prayed that God would open a door. I really felt like God was going to answer that prayer. Soon after I went to the computer and found out that a church in Indiana was looking for a youth pastor. This may come as a surprise to some of you, but Amy and I once worked in this capacity several years ago. I called the pastor to inquire about the position, and to make a long story short, we found ourselves going for an interview, and being asked to come for a second interview. After a lot of soul searching, and long conversations, Amy and I reluctantly decided to not pursue the position further. At the end of the day, like so many times before, it just didn’t “feel” right. I can’t say that our decision was made with confidence. Honestly, we just didn’t know what to do, so we thought maybe we should just stay here. Perhaps we are both afraid and both have too little faith. Maybe we are both so far away from God that we just can’t discern his voice anymore. Either way the fear of leaving what we do have was just too overpowering.

So, how in the world did we get to this place? I suppose that story deserves its own post.


1 comments:

Becky said...

Don't leave us!! Who will play Sequence with us?

No seriously, I'm glad to hear you're searching out options. The only thing worse than being unsettled and exploring other options is being unsettled and being too lazy to do anything about it. So the fact that you're at least being proactive seems like a good sign.

Don't beat yourself up too much about not feeling close to God. He hears your groanings. Sometimes a verse of comfort for me in similar times is Romans 8:26: In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

I went through a period of time in my life when I went through what seemed to be a "spiritual depression", where I wasn't sure if God existed, etc. I was miserable. One of my favorite songs during that time, that became my daily prayer, was a song by FFH. Here are the lyrics:

I can't find the words to pray
I'm a little down today
Can you help me?
Can you hold me?
I feel like a million miles away
And I don't know what to say
Can you hear me anyway?
What I need is for you to reach out your hand
You have taught me
No matter what you'd understand

CHORUS:

Lord move in a way, that I've never seen before
Cause there's a mountain in the way and a lock on the door
I'm drifting away, waves are crashing on the shore
So Lord move (move), or move me.

I've look every where to find
A simple peace of mind
I can't find nothing on my own
So I got to leave myself behind
Take up this cross of mine
Give away everything I hold onto

Lord I know the only way is through this
Lord I know I need you to help me do this

CHORUS

Out of this place of complacency
To a place of fellowship with thee
Cause I am weak but Lord you are so strong
And you know it's been way too long (been way too long)

Be encouraged, you two!!!