Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Perfect Day




Since today has not gone so good, I thought I would take a moment and write about what we did on Memorial Day.

So what did we do Well, it began very early in the mornging when my friend Aaron came over to start the Memorial Day BBQ. Amy had recently purchased a used smoker from a rummage sale, and that was the day to put it to the test. Aaron brought over a 7 pound pork butt and we placed it on the smoker. Just the smell of the hickory wood combined with the juice from the rub made our mouths water! After Aaron left, I began the task of preparing the rest of the course. I made hamburger patties, got out both the gas and charcoal grills, and thawed out the fish. Before I knew it, it was time for lunch. Aaron came back with Rachel and their daughter Grace, and we put the rest of the meal on the grills. We grilled hamburgers, hotdogs, and bluegill. Along with the pork butt, it was quite a feast, and everything was amazingly delicious! Afterwards, the kids played on the swing and in the water sprinkler, and Aaron and I went for a drive in the jeep.

Later that evening, our good friends Craig and Monte Jo stopped by. There are so many memories we share with them from the band days. Craig reminded me that it has been six years since we played our last concert. Oh, how I miss the fellowship of that group. There are several things that are on my mind as I write this part about our good friends. Craig made mention of the fact that everything happens for a reason. Recently Amy and I have spent a lot of our conversation time talking about what it is that we should be doing with our life. Craig mentioned specifically that sometimes God can bring just the right person into your path. That was part of the message I listened to this morning with Joel Osteen. Maybe God is going to bring the right person into the path of Amy and me. Who knows, it can happen, right?

After a wonderful day like that, I sit here and think about life. Am I doing everything I should be doing with my life? I don’t want to live with any regrets. I can say with certainty that I feel that both Amy and I have a lot of talents that are going unused. But at the same time, I can say that we simply don’t know what to do sometimes. Raising kids is a task not to be taken lightly. It keeps us busy. But, I’m sure there is a little more we could be doing with our life. Back during the band days, I felt like we had real purpose. We were part of a team that really meant something!! That is the kind of life I want to live. I want to live as part of something… part of a team. Once you have experienced the fellowship of living that sort of a lifestyle, nothing else compares. At least, for us it doesn’t.

We were tying to think of a song. This is all I could remember, but it feels fitting.

I am an alien

I am a superhero

I’m on a mission

To stop the devil’s evil

I am an alien

I am a superhero

I am an alien

And like Steve Austin he’s replaced all my worn out parts

And he’s formed in me a hero’s heart

Bridge

And if I ever, get into a jam

I don’t need a ???? Cause I know just who I am

0 comments: