Monday, April 10, 2006

1st Day of Spring Break

Today was the first day of Spring Break. So, what does a teacher do on Spring Break? Well, here is a short summary of my day.

I woke up early and had coffee as usual. I generally read right after that, but I saved that until the afternoon. I fixed bacon and eggs on the new grill, and then ate outside. After that, Cassidy and I went to Lowe’s to pick out flowers and plants for the garden. When we got back, we planted them, and it was time for lunch. We all ate lunch, and then I went about building another flower bed while Amy and the children went to the grocery store (Kroger, since we are trying to stay away from the “W”). This evening I cooked hamburgers on the grill, and then did a little more yard work.

Hmmm, not to exciting huh? Well, I’ve found yard work is therapy for me. I feel wonderful, and I still have 4 days left! A friend called, and was so happy she had the day off tomorrow. She said, “What could be better than that?” Shamelessly, I said, “Having the whole week off?” Oh well, I should get to rub it in from time to time, I put up with enough at school to at least have that. After all, professionals in other fields with my experience and requiring my level of education are making enough that that they spend their vacations in Hawaii and Europe. Okay, enough of my pity party.

As some of you know, I am denying myself refined sugar. As a result, I need more calories, so I find myself really stretching to keep from craving stuff all the time. I have eaten more fruit in recent days than I have in months. Honestly, I couldn’t remember the last time I had eaten an orange. I did remember that I used to find them incredibly sour. Now, I have eaten probably five of them in the last few days, and they are wonderful! Very sweet too. I have also found some excellent sugar free cookies. That technology has come a long way! Years ago, I remember going to my grandmas house and eating sugar free stuff. She was a diabetic, so she kept an ample supply of sugar free things, and mostly they were terrible. But I’m sure with my steady diet back then of cupcakes, twinkies, dingdongs, and zingers, anything sugar free would have been less than desirable. Man, now I’m thinking about cupcakes, twinkies, dingdongs, and zingers. Better change the subject.

Here are some pictures from the garden. It is far from finished, but it is progressing!






What else? Back to the sugar free thing, I’m going to try to make the tapioca pudding that Bobby suggested. I now have all the stuff to make it. Yeah!

Hmmm, if I can find the time to reminisce the next few days, I think I might do that. I’m sure you will really find that boring, but it has to be done. I have spent way to long repressing my childhood, well, parts of it anyways. Its good to relive the good times now and again. Growing up in the 80’s was totally Gnarly dude, …psych!

0 comments: