Sunday, September 04, 2005

Second Trip to Orchardville

Today we went once again to Orchardville Community Church. We once again had a really good experience. Cassidy did not wish to go to either the nursery or children’s church, but I’m sure she would eventually go if we decide to go there.

Afterwards, we went out again to lunch at a fine dining establishment in Wayne City. There, I embarrassed myself greatly with a slip of the tongue. You see, the previous day, I had traveled to St. Louis with some of our friends who were sitting around the table. While discussing the trip, and remembering that we had driven past a famous custard stand in Collinsville (but not stopped) I attempted to say, “We saw “Bobby’s” yesterday.” What unfortunately came out made it sound like we had visited some kind of gentleman’s club along the way. I had consciously thought to myself, “Don’t say that word.” Why, you might ask, did that even come to my mind? Long story short, Amy and I used to drive past there while in college quite often, and the sign outside looked like it said the other word. We loved to stop there, and this became somewhat of a joke to ask each other if we wanted to go to “B##bies.” Oh well, SORRY everyone, hope you don’t hold it against me. And sorry for the person who missed it who was getting food at the time…that one rivals your favorite quote of all time said to a teenage Sunday school class having a party on Harrison street—“Don’t “sit” in that hole over there.”….and we didn’t!

So, enough about that. Now, here is our dilemma. How do we know whether or not this is the church for us? During Sunday school, many of the people said they just knew this was where they were supposed to be. I wish we could say we had that same voice telling us this, but as of yet this is not the case. I’m finding myself making a list in my mind of all the good things this church has for us, and all the not as good aspects. The list in my mind goes something like this:

The Good

Good preaching, good fellowship, great friends, nursery/children’s church, several ministries, plenty of people, probably some activities, much for Cassidy to do.

The Not as Good

Very long drive, sometimes hard to meet people in a big church, so many ministry positions are already filled (i.e. would there be a need for us).

There may be more in each category, but these are the ones that come to mind. Right now, the drive is a killer. I’m told that it will get better, and that there are actually some good things about being a little ways away.


Right now, we are simply wishing that God would show us the right place to go. We both really want to be in the will of God, and He knows best. Please say a prayer for us that we will find God’s direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't let the drive stop you from choosing a church.
I have to drive 20-30 miles to get anywhere to work, to the store, to go out to eat, ect.
I would much rather drive 30 miles to church one or two days a week Than have to drive that far everyday of the week sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.
Sorry don't mean to sound mean but don't let that stop you from choosing a church wherever you decide to go.

Anonymous said...

There is wisdom in what you have said. This gives us another angle to look at it. Thank you so much for the comment.