Sunday, September 18, 2005

Another Visit To Orchardville

Today we visited Orchardville again. At some point in the near future, we may stop using the word “visited,” but as for now that is still what is taking place. We finished up the “Let’s Get Acquainted Class.” We actually started on what is normally the last Sunday for the group, and have been playing catch up. Today was the day to take the grand tour of the church. I was most impressed with the abundance of ministries for kids at Orchardville. It is totally amazing. I really wonder what it would have been like to grow up in a church like Orchardville.

Tonight we went out to eat with a friend. She is a former student and student assistant of mine (Ryan) who has become a close friend of ours. She once told us that we had made a positive impact on her life, but honestly it is the other way around. Whitney, if you are reading this, you’re the greatest!

On a side note, something was spoken at Orchardville a few Sundays ago that has stuck with me. The pastor spoke about the sin in our lives that is the “My Precious.” He referred of course to the signature line of the character Gollum in Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. The pastor kept asking, “What is it in your life that has become ‘My Precious.’” I knew as soon as he said this what it was in my life. It has taken me this long to make a decent attempt to rid myself of it. I am going to do my best to get rid of it…I want it out of my life.

Another thought that goes along with that is something that was said at Church of the Harvest several weeks ago. “The Holy Spirit can take you places that your character cannot keep you.” My prayer is this, “God, help me to get “my precious” out of my life once and for all. Let my character and integrity become such that, with your help, I am able to reach the place that you would have me to be. Guide our family to that place, and keep us there with your strength.”

0 comments: