Thursday, August 11, 2005

Done with the Workshop

Just finished four days of a workshop at Rend Lake. I have to say that it was absolutely the most boring time I have spent in a while. However, we did get paid a nice little stipend for it, so I guess it was worth it. We spent two days working on determining trends in PSAE scores. About all we discovered was that if you are poor, your test scores are a lot less than if you are not poor. I guess the moral of that story is, “don’t be poor?” Most likely it means that PSAE tests are not a top priority for people of low income, which makes sense. The next two days were spent watching “good” teachers teach with a method called “Engaged Learning.” The best segment was when we got to watch the students get into the water to simulate the building of a satellite in space. I’m sure I’ll be able to do this lesson at Mt. Vernon High School (sorry, a little sarcasm). Anyway, it’s finally done and over. Just in time--school starts next week.

0 comments: