Sunday, July 24, 2005

Mt. Vernon Church of God

Well, today we attended the Mt. Vernon Church of God on Harlan Road. I can with a fair amount of certainty say that this will not be the church we decide to make our home. There was nothing severely wrong with the church; we just didn’t feel at home. When we arrived, we were greeted well, but several people kept asking us whom we were related to. Once they realized they did not know us, we stood in the foyer waiting for Sunday school to get over for what seemed like forever. That was not too bad, but one rather older gentleman came up from behind me, put his arms on my shoulders, and said, “I know you, I knew your grandmother.” He gave me the name of someone who I had never heard of, and once he had figured out that he did not know me, he kept his hands on my shoulders for a rather lengthy period of time. Now, I’m not homophobic, but I did not like this at all.

Probably 80% of the church was over fifty, but we did see one couple that had a boy about Cassidy’s age. I’m sure this is a good church, but I don’t think we will go back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you and amy have a lot to offer a church. I wouldn't tell you where to go, however, i hope you find a church where you can use your talents to the max and always be loved. There's no perfect church because there's no perfect people ;however; we are
to strive for it. Ask God for wisdom in this matter and listen.
Love in Christ A Brother


to
strive for it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. You will never know how much the kind words mean.